What Compensation Can I Receive After A Car Accident?
A car accident can drastically change the way victims live. The challenge of recovering your health and finances is not an easy one. If you are not careful, you could wind up accepting a settlement that is less than you need to offset the cost of your injury.
While you are likely aware you can recover compensation in a car accident, few people understand what compensation is available. It is more than just lost wages and medical expenses. Below, you can find an overview of the types of compensation that you can receive after being injured because of the negligence of another driver.
During your initial consultation, we can discuss with you what to expect from your legal claim and the types of compensation available in your case. You can also read more general information about the law below.
The compensation you can receive after an accident is dependent upon many factors. The state you are injured in, the vehicle you are injured in and whether you are the driver or passenger all play a role in your compensation.
Cincinnati’s Car Accident Attorneys Who Fight For You
If you have suffered in a car accident because of someone else’s reckless or negligent accident, you may have already noticed the accident is costing you in more ways than medical bills. We work to ensure that your compensation reflects the total cost of your damages, including:
- Property damage: This includes damages to your car and other personal property.
- Lost wages: If you are unable to work due to injury, you can receive compensation for missed paychecks. You can also get compensated for the loss of PTO benefits and other employee benefits.
- Medical expenses: Medical bills pile up with extensive injuries. These costs are compensable.
- Pain and suffering: A serious accident results in more than just a few bills. In addition to extensive financial costs, you may also be in significant pain. How much would you pay to be healthy and pain-free once again? That is why you can obtain compensation for pain and suffering.
- Loss of “consortium”: Consortium is a legal term for the companionship of a husband or wife. You may be compensated for the loss of physical intimacy you have suffered as the result of your injury.
- Loss of enjoyment: You may no longer be able to do the activities you once enjoyed. This is also compensable.
- “Punitive” damages: Punitive damages are not intended to compensate you for anything in particular. They are intended to discourage behavior in others that might lead to more people being injured. Punitive damages are not available in every case. Generally, only when the person or business who injured you acted intentionally or recklessly can you obtain punitive damages.
When insurance companies present their initial settlement offer, it is often far less than you deserve, as it may only reflect the medical costs you have already amassed. You can count on us to fight for the compensation that accounts for as much of your total damages as possible.
About ‘Noneconomic’ Damages
Noneconomic damages are damages to which there is not a set dollar amount. For example, establishing the amount of your lost wages will involve calculating your salary, time missed and expected loss of future earnings.
However, it is more difficult to quantify your pain and suffering. That is why, during negotiations with the insurance company and at trial, you need an attorney who understands the true value of your claim. At The Law Offices of Arnold S. Levine, L.P.A., our lawyers have built a network of expert witnesses, including accountants, medical experts and psychologists, who can help to establish how the injury has harmed you. Too often, injury victims settle for less than they deserve because they are unaware of their rights under the law. Unsurprisingly, insurance companies do not tell injury victims all of the compensation to which they are entitled under the law.
Do Not Pursue Compensation Alone. Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation!
Without an attorney’s help, it can be hard to know whether you will get the funds you need to cover the costs from your accident. We can offer you the compassion and guidance you can rely on to help you through this difficult time.
To discuss what types of compensation you are eligible to receive in your situation, call The Law Offices of Arnold S. Levine, L.P.A., at 513-823-3257 or reach us online. We are conveniently located in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio, across from Jack Casino.