Common Causes Of Accidents
If you know what behaviors and conditions cause accidents, you can be safer out on the road — and never need a lawyer at all.
What are the common causes? The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration identifies several factors. The attorneys at The Law Offices of Arnold S. Levine know from experience that the NHTSA list of common causes of accidents is correct:
- Distraction. Texting, cellphone use, eating, applying makeup, changing the radio station — anything that takes a driver’s attention away from the road is a danger to everyone.
- Inattention. Drivers stop looking for oncoming cars, changing lights, pedestrians, bicycles and motorcycles.
- Fatigue. If you can’t drive safely, pull over and sleep. This applies especially to truckers and commercial vehicle drivers, who push the envelope to meet deadlines.
- Drunk driving and driving on drugs. Any substance that causes a driver to be inattentive, slows reaction time or alters judgment, has the potential to cause devastating injury. This includes legal prescription drugs.
- Incompetent driving. There are people out there who should not be driving. But you don’t know who they are until they crash into you.
- Careless driving. These are people who speed, make sharp turns, fail to signal and cross the yellow lines. They are indifferent to the safety of others and they cause great harm.
- Emotional moments. People yelling at their kids, arguing with other passengers or driving when they’re not able to drive safely because they are upset.
- Driving too fast for conditions. It doesn’t matter what your excuse is, even if you are racing to the hospital emergency room. Slow down on curves. Speed kills.
- Bad weather. Slow down in icy conditions or in a blizzard, fog or heavy rain. After dark, slow down.
Remember, it’s not enough for you to avoid being high or sleepy, or driving badly. Other motorists on the road also have to be sensible, and respectful of your safety. This is beyond your control, and the reason so many capable drivers wind up with life-changing injuries in highway crashes.
One-Stop Legal Representation
For personal injury or workers’ comp claims, bankruptcy, divorce or criminal law, look to The Law Offices of Arnold S. Levine. In Cincinnati, Ohio — and in Kentucky, too — call 513-823-3257, or contact us online.