Coins & Cards
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Motor Vehicle Accidents
  4.  » Car Accident FAQ

Common Questions After A Car Accident

Car accidents can leave you with a large number of questions and very few answers. Without the necessary information, you may wind up not earning the compensation you need to fully recover from your injuries. We at The Law Offices of Arnold S. Levine, L.P.A., know how confusing the time after an accident can be, which is why we want to take a moment to answer some important questions for you.

What do I need to do immediately after my accident?

At the scene of your accident, be sure to take thorough pictures of the entire scene. Also, report the accident to the police, and gather their information, such as the officer’s name and report number. After you contact the police, contact your insurance agent. Your agent will be able to begin the process for any damage claims. The next person you need to call is a personal injury attorney. Their guidance will be able to help you maximize your compensation.

Should I see a doctor?

Even if you do not think you are hurt, you should see a doctor after your accident. A doctor can do a more thorough job of checking you for injuries, including hidden injuries like concussions or nerve damage. The doctor’s report can also provide a benchmark of your health to help prove the severity of your injuries in your claim. Your health comes first, so be sure that you are confirming your health and following your doctor’s orders.

Is there a limit for much can I get for my injuries?

The damages cap in Ohio places a limit on some types of compensation that a victim could earn. For noneconomic damages, such as pain and suffering or loss of enjoyment of activities, there is a limit of $250,000 or three times the amount of economic damages, whichever is greater. An experienced personal injury attorney can help ensure that you get the most from your compensation possible.

Should I speak to the at-fault diver’s insurance if they call?

Avoid speaking to anyone about your personal injury claim, especially if your attorney is not present or has not advised you about what you should say. Saying the wrong thing to the wrong person could cost you considerably. Your lawyer can speak on your behalf to the at-fault driver and their insurance provider to help keep you from losing out on the compensation you deserve. This way, you can focus on your health while your attorney focuses on your claim.

Can I still file a claim if I was partially responsible?

Yes, but keep in mind that the compensation you receive will be less than if you were not responsible at all. The court will likely determine what percentage of the accident was your fault during your claim (like 30% your liability and 70% the other driver’s liability). Once a court determines how responsible you were and how much compensation you deserve, the compensation will probably reduce based on the amount of your liability.

What can I do if the other driver does not have insurance?

If the driver who is responsible for your accident does not have insurance to cover the costs, you still have options to seek recovery. You may be able to earn compensation from your own insurance, especially if you have Uninsured Motorist Insurance. You can also pursue compensation directly from the driver. However, the assets the driver has may limit the amount you could earn, if they cannot cover the total costs of your injury.

Answer Your Questions With Us

If you need an Ohio personal injury attorney to help represent you, contact us to schedule your initial consultation today. Call our Cincinnati office at 513-823-3257 or email us here to meet with us and answer any questions you may have about your claim or your recovery.