Safely sharing the roadways with bicycle riders should be everyone’s top priority. Drivers should be familiar with safety tips to help them avoid causing bicycle accidents that can injure vulnerable bicycle riders or worse.
Tips to avoid bicycle accidents
To safely share the road with bicycles, drivers should carefully follow safety tips including:
- Drivers should always yield to bicyclists. Drivers should also take care not to underestimate the speed of the bicycle, which can help prevent the driver from turning in front of the bicyclist and causing a collision at an intersection or driveway.
- Drivers should search their surroundings for bicycles when they are in parking lots, when parking, when stopped at stop signs, when backing up and in general.
- Drivers who are turning right on red should pay close attention behind them and to their right to avoid hitting an approaching bicyclist coming from their right or rear. Drivers should always come to a complete stop and look around them.
- Drivers should always follow the speed limit and reduce their speed when road or weather conditions call for it.
- Drivers should give bicycles enough room. Drivers should pass bicyclists as they would any other vehicle and not pass them too closely.
If you enjoy getting out and bicycling and have been injured by a careless or reckless driver, you may be left facing unexpected damages.
A personal injury claim for damages can help victims of bike accidents with the physical, financial and emotional damages stemming from the accident and injuries they have suffered. Injured bicyclists should become acquainted with how legal resources may be able to protect them.